sakeriver.com

What to do? and Salix speaks

From: Mark

Subject The second room

Mund, Allistair and Salix walk slowly down the hallway and listen at the door. Allistair and Salix both hear voices but other than the occasional word in common, do not recognize the language. They report this back to the others.



From: Mark

Subject Turn

If you guys would decide what you want to do with this encounter today I will be able to write it up tonight.



From: Karl

Subject The second room

Salix gives his report and adds, "So it seems we might very well be able to communicate with these creatures. I can't help but imagine this fact itself might be part of the test. It might be helpful to see if we can get some information from them, if not about the coming challenges, at least about how they came to be part of this one. If course, if they don't seem to be willing to parlay, then we let our esteemed mage fireball them."



From: Porter

Subject The second room

"By the time we know that they won't talk with us, they'll probably be too close for a fireball."



From: Randy

Subject The second room

"I agree that we should try to communicate with them. We are a formidable group and we are capable of defending ourselves if things go sour. We should keep our defenses up but perhaps we need to approach this peacefully. Do any of the magic users have any skill with something that might allow us to better understand the language they are speaking?"

Ranthir will ultimately go along with whatever plan is decided on but would prefer not to send a fireball in without at least attempting to communicate.

"Perhaps we just call through the door and see if they answer? I realize that this alerts them to our presence, but if we want to try talking this may be the least threatening way to do so rather than barrelling down the door with weapons raised. I will defer to you Harp in this matter."



From: Karl

Subject The second room

Salix shrugs. He was only half joking about the fireball, but it didn't matter.



From: Kevin

Subject The second room

OOC: I am heading to lunch, and will consider options while I am away. I am torn between tyring to find something out and thinking that we need to kill eveybody. Remember, this is a testing ground developed by a martial order to test its members.

Let me think about it.



From: Karl

Subject The second room

OOC: Is your martial order devoid of the concepts of "a time to avoid battle", "Parlay", "Truce" or "Peaceful co-existence"? Personally, I think we're gonna have to kick ass, too, but Salix isn't militant and has been taught all these things. Otherwise the Great North Woods would probably be a lot "greater" and some humans would be finding themselves a lot closer to nature. ;)



From: Kevin

Subject The second room

OOC: Lets see - Time to avoid battle - probably not. Parlay - only if the other guy is surrendering, Truce - again, only if the other guy is surrendering, Peaceful co-existence - only if the other guy is good. We like to keep things simple.

IC: Harp grows concerned at Salix's suggestion. Harp had been ready to cut down everything in their way to get the keys, but the druid had shown exception insight previously, and Harp had come to value his counsel. But up to 8 possible opponents? If they were not agreeable to conversation, the loss of the element of surprise was something to worry about.

After thinking for a few minutes Harp talks to the group - "I understand Salix's concern, and I too would like to try to learn a bit more. However, against this number of opponents, I would hate to loose the advantage of surprise.

I would like to try the following - lets open the rest of the doors to see if there are only hallways behind them or if there are any direct threats behind any of them. Once we determine that (and we get that boring part done) then we can have Surin, Mund, Salix and Allistair head down each hallway (assuming that there is one behind each door, as we have seen so far, and see if they can hear a smaller number of opponent or someone we can understand more easily. We might also get a better idea of the layout of this place.

Agreed?"



From: Kevin

Subject The second room

OOC: Mark, we would keep the same door opening structure we had worked out before if we do this.



From: Randy

Subject The second room

Ranthir offers his support for this plan but in the back of his mind believes that each door will offer a more difficult challenge than the previous one.



From: Porter

Subject The second room

OOC: What the heck? What is Mund, chopped liver? :angry: ;)

"I don't think we should open any more of the doors until we are through with what we have to deal with here. Otherwise, we risk being surrounded and having to fight 10 groups instead of just one."

"I say we open this door and see who it is. They might be friendly."

"You're a fine one to go on and on about good and evil, and you're ready to kill somebody just because they speak a different language?"



From: Jason

Subject The second room

OOC: No, that part comes after we send you in first to be our ambassador :) Also, I'd say it was pretty obvious that ogre was a lawful good ogre, cast out by its family and brought by Heironeous to be a holy protector of this artifact... and you can't prove me wrong anymore since you went ahead and shot him without warning just because he was bigger than you!

IC: "I agree that we should probably deal with this group one way or another before moving on. It seems logical that the challenges were meant to be faced in order. It even seems possible that if we do not collect the correct key in the correct order, the phrase 'Without the right key, beware the floors' might take effect.

"As far as the element of surprise, my guess is that each challenge will become harder than the last. If that is so, this should be one of the easiest challenges we have to face, and I'm confident that Heironeous will grant us victory. But do we dare incur his wrath by indiscriminately slaying all who live in this place? For surely he has a special interest in it and all that occurrs within it."

Replying to Ran (who asked about the any skills that would allow us to communicate with them), Ragnar says "Heironeous can indeed bless me with the ability to understand their words, but unfortunately I would still have no method of communicating with them, unless they also understand some language with which I am familiar."

OOC:Map attached. The words in red indicate out of date stuff, but hopefully if this place gets bigger that will help us keep our bearings a bit?




From: Porter

Subject The second room

OOC: I have no idea what you are talking about. I was just complaining that Mund was talking first about talking with these guys, and then Salix said something, and then suddently Harp thinks it's a good idea, completely ignoring the fact that Mund was talking about it first.



From: Mark

Subject Map

Oh it is going to get bigger. Alot bigger.



From: Mark

Subject What to do

Well Kevin,

What is your intrepid party going to do?



From: Mark

Subject Fireball

I just caught this.

The door is on the north side of the hallway, so the idea of a rope tied to the handle, somehow pulled up to open the door and a fire ball shooting through the doorway will not work.



From: Mark

Subject Ogre gold

As the others talk Surin finishes counting the ogres gold and gives the party the total. 273 pieces of gold and a large sack.



From: Kevin

Subject What to do

Harp listens to Mund grumblings and Salix's desire to try to talk to those in the room. He is uncomfortable with the idea of trying to talk to those who are behind the door, but the mood of the group, at least the most vocal ones, seems to be to try and talk.

"Very well. Though it goes against my gut feeling, Mund, you will go with Surin, Salix and Kal. Go to the door and try to communicate with those on the other side. Ran, Ragnar and I will be waiting back here at this door, with Allistair just behind us. If you encounter ANY problems (or sense any falseness on their part) I want you back in here ASAP. I know you are a proud warrior, but your instructions from Quarion were to helpt us, not to get killed in an battle by yourself. This quest is bigger than any one of us."

After he has finished, Harp will motion for Salix and Kal to come over. Quietly, he will tell them "My friends, please be very careful in this endeavor. Salix, I know you are looking for ways to work with all living things, but this "constuct" we are in is not natural and the creatures that we meet here may not act naturally. We do not know if they have been told to kill all they meet, if they will be punished if they fail. There is so much we do not know. Kal, please keep an eye on my friend Salix, and my little friend Surin. Use all your skills to keep them alive."

With that Harp will ask Ran and Rangar to join him in getting on either side of the door in preparation of the worse to come.



From: Mark

Subject What to do next

The next several minutes is spent debating what to do. Harp lays it out for them. "It looks like we have three options. First, we do the same as before and kill all of them. Second, we try and talk to them. Third, we attack and try and take a prisoner, who we interrogate." Salix seems a bit put out at how eager Harp is to just kill everything. He knows that Harp's order sees things as black and white, but do they see any gray? Surin nods a bit at the idea of talking to the creatures as does Allistair. Mund is all for taking a prisoner. Ran is also for talking, but Ragnar is keeping a bit to himself. Kal is non-committal.

Harp finally makes his decision.

"Very well. Though it goes against my gut feeling, Mund, you will go with Surin, Salix and Kal. Go to the door and try to communicate with those on the other side. Ran, Ragnar and I will be waiting back here at this door, with Allistair just behind us. If you encounter ANY problems (or sense any falseness on their part) I want you back in here ASAP. I know you are a proud warrior, but your instructions from Quarion were to help us, not to get killed in an battle by yourself. This quest is bigger than any one of us."

He then calls Kal and Salix over and asks them to be very careful and for Kal to keep an eye out for the halfling.

Mund, Surin, Salix and Kal then head down the hallway until they get to the door. Mund looks at Salix, as if expecting the druid to do something and Salix motions for Mund to bang on the door with the haft of his axe. Mund lifts the weapon and gives the door a good sound banging. Surin hears some shuffling sounds from the other side of the door and a few seconds latter a voice can be heard through the door. The voice is low and quite, barely audible through the wood. Each of the party members looks at the other, none of them recognizing the language. Salix then speaks up. "Do you speak Common?"

"Yes" comes the muffled reply. "Who you?" the voice asks. Salix replies. "I am Salix, Wealward of the Great North Forest. Who are you?" " I am ...Gromp...." and the answer trails off in to series of rumblings that Salix is almost sure that he could not reproduce with his throat. "You trapped, too?" is the next question. "No" is the druids response, "are you trapped?" Gromp gives out a short bark. "At home getting water, next thing in room with others. Not 20, how you say, minutes ago. You know way back. Gromp and others be very happy you send us back."

OODM: I will let it stop there. Salix and the others can continue this as they want and I will do the responses.

Conversations at the door, a scuffle

From: Karl

Subject Conversations at the door

Where is your home, Gromp?" Salix will ask again.

OOC: Mark, based on this so far, *I'm* guessing they are orcs. What does Salix think they might be? Also, I've been playing Salix thus far with the idea that Orcs aren't considered much worth negotiating with. Salix isn't into wanton death and destruction, but Orcs also aren't respecters of nature, even much less so than all but the worst humans. (Correct me if this doesn't jive with your world we're playing in.) I only bring this up because what Salix reports will be colored by what he thinks these creatures are. If he simply doesn't know, you can say that, too, and I'll run with it.



From: Jason

Subject Conversations at the door

Its worth noting that both Ragnar and Mund speak orcish, and while Ragnar hasn't been listening at the door Mund would almost certainly have known if they were speaking in orc. Anyone know what language trolls speak?



From: Mark

Subject Conversations at the door

The accents do not sound orcish.



From: Mark

Subject Conversations at the door

OODM: Salix is not sure that they are orcs, just from talking to them. The accent does not sound "Orcish" but there are alot of groups of orcs around the world.

IC: "Home is cave near city of Tralanda, great underground city. My cave is two days? walk from city. Where you home, Salix?"



From: Karl

Subject Conversations at the door

OOC: Does this city sound familiar to Salix? Could he or any of the others guess what these creatures are based on this info?



From: Mark

Subject Conversations at the door

I have done some knowledge checks and no one has any inkling where or what these things are.

Of cours I know where they are from and how high the DC is.



From: Karl

Subject Conversations at the door

"I am from the Great North Woods. I do not know your city of Tralanda, so I don't know if we could help you get home. I'm pretty sure we could get you out of the room, though, provided you honestly answer a few questions. What sort of beings are you and how many of you are in there?" (OOC: Diplomacy skill here if it applies.)



From: Mark

Subject Convesations at the door

Well diplomacy is if you want them to do something for you. It might apply Sense motive, now that is a skill that will be usefull. :)

I will do some RP in about an hour, since that is when lunch is.



From: Karl

Subject Conversations at the door

Well, I want them to answer truthfully, so that's where I thought it might apply. I'm also going to want them to help me out in trade, depending on what else I find out.

And of course, use my Sense Motive where it applies as well.

I don't have a whole lot of time for too much back and forth today, and I don't want to slow the game down, so let me tell you what Salix wants to try:

Unless we find out that the creatures are such that there is *no way* our team can let them go without at least one of us attacking them (sworn enemy race, or whatnot), Salix will report back to harp all he knows so far, and add that he thinks (if sense motive bears out) that he can negotiate a peaceful way past this obstacle. He will tell harp that it appears the creatures just got teleported into the room specifically for this test and propose simply asking for the key. If they refuse, we can threaten them, and finally kill them if they don't respond to threats. We can barter whatever assistance we might be able to give them in exchange for the key. (If we can determine they are from our world and not some other, we can simply send them out the way we came in, for instance).

Salix really likes the idea of ending this peacefully, but he isn't going to risk overall failure to save the lives of these creatures. If the others have reason to forego parlay, or if the creatures prove very difficult or un-trustworthy, he'll support just getting them out of the way.



From: Porter

Subject Conversations at the door

Mund asks the question "Fala orcanhol?*", asking them in Orcish if they speak orcish.

*for Karl :)



From: Josh

Subject Conversations at the door

"Gromp" Kal thinks. If he's not an orc, he's got to be a goblin.

"Friend Salix, you're wasting your time with these creatures. They're pawns of chaos and evil. Treacherous to the core. Lets kill them quickly. If we return them to their homes they're probably be out pillaging and raping in a week."



From: Porter

Subject Conversations at the door

"Oh, that's rich, coming from an Elf. I've seen first-hand how kindly your people deal with others. I've seen the burned villages and dead bodies."

"Yes, orcs and goblins are known for their banditry. But what's not known is that it is carefully orchestrated by the elves."

"Orcs and goblins aren't even allowed in most cities. And when they group together to try to raise some crops, you dirty, cowardly, manipulative elves come and destroy their villages, including the women and children."

"The only way that an orcish or goblin community can hope to survive is by turning into what the Elves want them to be -- theives."

"Oh, yes. The elves want the orcs and goblins to be bandits, because that keeps everybody else afraid and more maleable for the sneaky elves to manipulate them."

"Maybe there are some people around here who deserve death because of their blood, but they aren't on the other side of the door. They are right here."



From: Josh

Subject Conversations at the door

"I'm sorry, their race doesn't collectively worship a God who's devoted to chaos and mayhem? THEY are the marauders. Don't blame elves for being efficent at keeping our homes. We're not the nation who is constantly battling with all of it's neighbors. We have long lasting and peaceful treaties with all of the civilized peoples.

Only when outsiders come and attack our way of life do we turn to fighting. When they get together to "innocently raise crops" a leader eventually emerges, and then we're entrenched in a battle with a well fed goblin army that hates our forest and hates our way of life. We've seen dozens of times, so don't get moraly smug with me.

The only way a goblin or orcish community can hope to survive is by turning from their God and learning to leave peacably around other races. As long as they continue to worship the one-eyed abomination they will continue to be a savage warlike race. He wills it so.

Keep your thoughts on The Nations to yourself Mund. You have the intellect of a child and talk as such. If we weren't engaged right now we would be fighting with swords instead of words, where you would be similarly outmatched."

Angered by Mund's racist outburst, Kal starts chanting elven prayers, kicks open the door and starts killing. He'll swing his weapon at the nearest goblin-looking thing he sees. If they're not goblins or orcs (or any other evil creature), Kal will not attack.



From: Mark

Subject Conversations at the door

Wel that does it.



From: Porter

Subject Scuffle

Mund is not going to let this racist commit genocidal murder on his watch. Mund rages and tackles him from behind. (Attempts to start a grapple).



From: Derek

Subject Scuffle

Allistair sighs audibly at Kal's comments, and then visibly starts to cringe as he sees his brother start going into a tirade. After the ruckus that occured earlier at the chapterhouse, he does not want to have to sit through another one of these pointless arguments. He turns to Kal and quickly address him in elven: "Kal-Lar, please be silent for a moment. No matter what happened to you in the past, expressing your views in such a way only serve to stir up feelings of anger within the group. Look to Ran-Ell if you need an example of how adult elves properly behave."

Allistair then approaches his brother and gently places a hand on his arm, which he hopes will have a restraining effect on his temper. "Mund, I know you feel differently about orcs and other similar creatures then people such as elves do, but please try and keep from being so aggressive. Harp is the one that will make the decision, and don't you think that by his ancestry alone he is most capable of making an unbiased decision? We're going to have enough trouble with these trials and keys without fighting each other."

OOC: I'll let Mark figure out which happens first.



From: Josh

Subject Scuffle

OOC: This argument felt way too much like I was some far right guy arguing the American/Middle-east conflict.



From: Porter

Subject Scuffle

OOC: In case this thread goes anywhere:

IC: "No, I don't think that Harp's ancestry makes him the most capable to make an unbiased decision. He knows nothing about the noble race he is descended from. He was taught to hate them from an infant, and he does so without knowing anything about them. He fights himself at every turn, not realizing that his orc blood is as much a blessing as a curse, just like his human blood. No, I would not trust Harp to make an unbiased decision."



From: Josh

Subject Scuffle

OOC: Kal will respond to Allistar before busting in the room, after already responding to Mund.

Kal turns to Allistar: "Your brothers a fool and will be treated as such. These goblins need to die, and they need to die now.

Have you all forgetten that we're currently in a extra-dimensional pocket fighting a TEST created by the very opponent of the one eyed abomination?

There is nothing to be learned here from these spawns of chaos and evil. At best they're "innocent" and will go back to raping and pillaging our brethren. At worst they're a trap laid by the one-eyed one himself, designed to destroy our chances at fulfilling our mission.

We don't have time for foolish errands of gallantry now. These are the enemies. They stand in our way, and they are the children of evil. We kill them now, before it costs us our life and our quest.

With that, Kal does in fact push through the door and start swinging.



From: Porter

Subject Scuffle

In that case, Mund still attacks Kal from behind. :)



From: Mark

Subject Scuffle

OK guys I am going to stop the action here.

Kal is going to open the door and rush into the room. Mund is going to try and stop him with a grapple.

I will try and write up the turn when I get home tonight.



From: Josh

Subject Scuffle

OOC: Good luck sucka! Kal's got a dex of like 30 million.



From: Mark

Subject Scuffle

And Mund has improved unarmed combat. He is good, compared to most, at unarmed combat.



From: Josh

Subject Scuffle

OOC: I sure hope it's actually goblins or orcs or something else easy to kill in there. I'd hate to be running into a Beholder's den. :-D



From: Derek

Subject Scuffle

OOC: I'm thinking the initiative roll is going to be VERY important. I wish I had something better than a wanky sleep spell to drop these bozos. Hold person would be nice right about now.



From: Mark

Subject Scuffle

Who are the bozos? Mund and Kal? or the guys behind the door?

Becuase Allistair probably knows that his sleep spell would have no effect on Kal, being an elf, and little effect on his brother.



From: Derek

Subject Scuffle

OOC: I meant Mund and Kal. I know it wouldn't effect either one of them, which is why I wish I had something better.



From: Karl

Subject Scuffle

I'm not getting several emails apparently. I'm very confused and I don't have time to straighten it all out right now. I will look at what is happening when I get home, (hopefully all the emails are there.)



From: Derek

Subject Scuffle

OOC: Were we all by the door? I thought most of us were in the room and only Salix and Surin were by the door.



From: Porter

Subject Scuffle

Just so it's clear, even if Kal gets the door open, Mund will still go for the grapple.

And there's no way that elf can out-run Mund. ;)



From: Porter

Subject Scuffle

Also, don't forget that Mund is raging.



From: Mark

Subject Scuffle

From what I understood Mund, Allistair, Kal, Salix and Surin were all close to the door. Ran, Ragnar and Harp stayed back about 30-40 feet as reserves. By now I am sure some of them have probably heard something since I am sure Kal and Mund have not been keeping their voices down. :)



From: Jason

Subject Scuffle

I've been trying to estimate in my head how far 40 feet is, and I'm pretty sure that we would be able to hear pretty much everything that's being said on our side of the door, though perhaps not what the other guys are saying.

That being said, Ragnar is really kicking himself for asking for status instead of calm emotions this morning. Of course, he didn't really expect to have to STOP fights, just win them, so what can you do.

Ragnar will start forward once Kal's intentions become clear. If there is fighting, he'll charge if he can see anyone, but more likely just close in. If Mund is succesfull grappling Kal and by some miracle there is no fighting, Ragnar won't enter the room and will stand clear of the doorway.



From: Kevin

Subject Scuffle

OOC: I can't let you children play at all.

I am slammed at work, but will write some responses when I get home.

Mark, hold off on your write up until I get a chance to send something in.



From: Karl

Subject Scuffle

Well Good Lord! No wonder I was confused. I didn't get *any* of this stuff at work. All I know is Gomp and Salix were having a nice peaceful chat then suddenly doors were getting kicked in and people were getting grappled.

I think Salix may just go back out the way he came in . . . (j/k)



From: Kevin

Subject Scuffle

Harp will stand by the door leading to the hallway, trying to assertain (sp?) what is going on. If he sees either Kal enter the room or a wrestling match break out, he will swear an oath to Heironious, call on Ragnar and Ranthir to join him and head down the hallway. If a grapple is going on, he will try to separate the two combantants, if Kal is successful in opening the door, he will head in the room (if he can get there) and (assuming Kal is already fighting the occupants) start a combat with whomever he encounters.

OOC: Captain Picard never had an away team go so bad so quick. We did not even make it to the transporter room.

I just realized that Harp is really Worf, but in a different universe.



From: Porter

Subject Scuffle

Yet another agent of Chaos.

*shakes head sadly*



From: Josh

Subject Scuffle

Harps too smart and too quick to stay his sword. All Worf ever said was "Weapons ready sir!"



From: Porter

Subject Scuffle

Maybe Worf would have mellowed out if he were captain.



From: Josh

Subject Scuffle

You never saw the episode where they all got their memories erased?! They woke up and everyone was like "huh". Warf started barking orders, and all around just being a jerk.

Another similiarity we've got with Harp. :-D



From: Porter

Subject Scuffle

That's not what I meant. I meant that after being captain for a while, maybe he would learn other negotiation tactics besides weapons.

And the episode you mentioned doesn't count -- he hadn't *been* captain, so he hadn't had a chance to learn and mellow.



From: Kevin

Subject Scuffle

Law - Chaos - It is all beyond Harp. He just wants to try and do good. All he knows is that if he sees Kal break into that room, something has gone terribly amiss with the plan. He is familiar with Kal's impulsiveness and will know that something is not right. If he were to find Kal fighting, then the milk is already spilt, time to mop up the mess. If Kal is having a pleasant conversation, then, as indicated, Harp will not attack.

Harp does not have any animosity toward these creatures (unless they are orcs) but they are a barrier to him completing his mission. He is willing to see if his friend Salix is able to work out an amiable solution, but if things go into the shitter (through our actions or theirs), Harp is going in to end the problem - now.

If he sees to of his companions fighting amongst themselves, he will be equally mad that they are not focused on the bigger picture.

Lets see how great, all powerful DM works this out.



From: Mark

Subject Scuffle

Salix, Surin and Allistair look on as the words between Mund and Kal heat up so quickly. Allistair tries to calm the tensions between the two, hoping beyond hope that his brother had moderated his views over the past years. It was not to be. In a huff Kal draws his rapier with his right hand, lifts the bar on the door and kicks the door open. Mund sees this and goes into a rage. As Kal opens the door Mund tries to tackle him. (Normally Kal would get an AOO, but I am figuring the grapple is a surprise move, just as opening the door was a surprise action.)(AC10, flat footed, touch attack, 4+10=14, success, grab,Opposed grapple check, Mund 7+10=17, Kal 19+5=24) Kal shakes off Mund's tackle and both men move into the room.

As the other three watch the door swings shut behind them, almost as if it had been pushed. In the passing glimpse of the room, they notice that there is no light in the room. At the other end of the hallway, Harp notices the commotion. He calls for Ran and Ragnar to join him as he rushes down the hallway towards the door.

As Mund and Kal come to a stop in the room they can hear the heavy breathing of many others around them. From out of the darkness a voice speaks. "This is your fault. We will kill you and then the rest. Goro, block the door."

OODM: Ok here is the situation. Mund has no weapon drawn, Kal has his rapier. They are blind. Lowlight does not work in this room, there is no light. There is an unknown number of enemies. There are serious modifiers for fighting blind with out the blindfight feat. If you do not know what they are please let me know and I will fill you in some.

Salix, Surin and Allistair are still outside the door and Harp, Ragnar and Ran will be there next round. Initiative: Kal(25), Creatures(11), Mund(7)



From: Kevin

Subject Scuffle

As Harp sees Kal and Mund disappear from the hallway, he starts to run toward where the other companions are, his sword at his side. As he gets to where Salix, Surin and Allistair are standing, he sees that the door is shut. Cursing under his breath to Salix "What the hell happened?" Harp will start to try and push the door open so he can get to his companions. If he is unable to get it by himself, he will ask Ragnar and Ran to help him.

OOC: Mark, if it will make it easier, if Harp finds that he and the others are unable to get the door open, next turn Harp will cast Bulls Strength on himself, unless someone else makes a better suggestion to get the door open.

I hope Mund and Kal have some fun for the next few turns. This could get really interesting.

A scuffle, darkness rules, a fight in the dark

From: Josh

Subject A scuffle breaks out

OOC: Mark: The light from the hallway doesn't give us enough to see a target with?



From: Josh

Subject A scuffle breaks out

What about "Goro" who's blocking the door?



From: Mark

Subect: A scuffle breaks out

There is no light from the hallway becuase the door is closed.

What about Goro? Kal can not see him. Kal is in the dark.



From: Kevin

Subject A scuffle breaks out

OOC: if that big dunderhead 1/2 Orc Harp and the stumpy dwarf Ragnar can push the door open a little way, then Kal might have enough light to do his little twirly dance. Until then, I hope your spider sense is working.



From: Karl

Subject A scuffle breaks out

And I hope Mund has the presence of mind to DUCK before the blade goes whirling.



From: Mark

Subject Darkness rules

I will be writing up the first round of combat tonight.

Jason and Porter, I need you to tell me specifically what you are going to do.

Here are some of the drawbacks to being blind.

Blinded: The character cannot see. He takes a --2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a --4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.

Here is more about fighting in the dark:

Darkvision allows many characters and monsters to see perfectly well without any light at all, but characters with normal vision (or low-light vision, for that matter) can be rendered completely blind by putting out the lights. Torches or lanterns can be blown out by sudden gusts of subterranean wind, magical light sources can be dispelled or countered, or magical traps might create fields of impenetrable darkness.

In many cases, some characters or monsters might be able to see, while others are blinded. For purposes of the following points, a blinded creature is one who simply can't see through the surrounding darkness.

--Creatures blinded by darkness lose the ability to deal extra damage due to precision (for example, a sneak attack).

--Blinded creatures are hampered in their movement, and pay 2 squares of movement per square moved into (double normal cost). Blinded creatures can't run or charge.

--All opponents have total concealment from a blinded creature, so the blinded creature has a 50% miss chance in combat. A blinded creature must first pinpoint the location of an opponent in order to attack the right square; if the blinded creature launches an attack without pinpointing its foe, it attacks a random square within its reach. For ranged attacks or spells against a foe whose location is not pinpointed, roll to determine which adjacent square the blinded creature is facing; its attack is directed at the closest target that lies in that direction.

--A blinded creature loses its Dexterity adjustment to AC and takes a --2 penalty to AC.

--A blinded creature takes a --4 penalty on Search checks and most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks, including any with an armor check penalty. A creature blinded by darkness automatically fails any skill check relying on vision.

--Creatures blinded by darkness cannot use gaze attacks and are immune to gaze attacks.

A creature blinded by darkness can make a Listen check as a free action each round in order to locate foes (DC equal to opponents' Move Silently checks). A successful check lets a blinded character hear an unseen creature "over there somewhere." It's almost impossible to pinpoint the location of an unseen creature. A Listen check that beats the DC by 20 reveals the unseen creature's square (but the unseen creature still has total concealment from the blinded creature).

--A blinded creature can grope about to find unseen creatures. A character can make a touch attack with his hands or a weapon into two adjacent squares using a standard action. If an unseen target is in the designated square, there is a 50% miss chance on the touch attack. If successful, the groping character deals no damage but has pinpointed the unseen creature's current location. (If the unseen creature moves, its location is once again unknown.)

--If a blinded creature is struck by an unseen foe, the blinded character pinpoints the location of the creature that struck him (until the unseen creature moves, of course). The only exception is if the unseen creature has a reach greater than 5 feet (in which case the blinded character knows the location of the unseen opponent, but has not pinpointed him) or uses a ranged attack (in which case, the blinded character knows the general direction of the foe, but not his location).

--A creature with the scent ability automatically pinpoints unseen creatures within 5 feet of its location.

Please note the part about pinpointing a foe so that you can attack. I will have a map that shows all the locations, you will not.



From: Jason

Subject Darkness rules

Sure, leave the characters with darkvision out in the hall why don't you.

I assume you meant Josh and Porter, rather than Jason.

But since you asked, Ragnar will be moving up and opening the door. Since I expect Harp will get there first and find that its blocked, Ragnar will help him bash it open if he can.



From: Mark

Subject Darkeness rules

Yes I meant Josh. I didn't plan this encounter this way. Count on the players to screw up a perfectly good dungeon crawl. :)



From: Kevin

Subject Darkness rules

OOC: if the creatures in this room dont kill Kal and Mund, it is possible that Harp will when he finds out what they were fighting about.

Mark, and I correct in thinking that if we can get the door propped open even a little, there would be enough light for Kal to see a bit? Mund will still have his work cut out for him, but Kal would be in better shape.

You know, we still do not KNOW what these things are. Kal was just assuming they were goblins. They could be Hobgoblins, Bugbears, who know whal else.



From: Kevin

Subject Darkness rules

Is there an equivalent of Prozac on this world? I may want to give some to Kal and Mund when this is over. Like 5 bottles each.



From: Mark

Subject Darkness rules

Correct, just a little light would allow Kal's low light vision to work. Of course Harp and Ragnar would be fine. The only other thing that would help is Blindsight.

That is right, no one knows what these things are yet.



From: Porter

Subject Darkness rules

Huh. I thought that low-light vision merely doubled the visual range, so for low-light vision to work, there has to be a visual range to be doubled.



From: Mark

Subject Darkness rules

Low light vision just needs a little light. The book even states that a full moon will make night time seem like day to a low light vision person. So if the door is open, even a crack, enough light would get in for Kal's low light vision to work. The room is not so big that there is going to be a problem for distance.

Darkvision requires no light at all. It is what was called Infravision back in 1st Ed.



From: Porter

Subject Darkness rules

Mund curses under his breath. No goblin he's ever know would ever do something as stupid as this elf just did.

Now he's stuck in a pitch-black room with an unknown number of enemies, with no weapon drawn. Krunlan. He should have drawn blade on this murderous elf.

Mund raises his hands, showing that he has no weapon drawn, while he tries to put his back to a wall. "I'm not here to fight you guys. This jackass elf came in here to murder you all, and I was trying to stop him."

If Mund is attacked, he'll draw his axe and return the favor, but otherwise he'll just try to put his back to the wall and keep things as unexciting as possible.



From: Josh

Subject Darkness rules

OOC: If Kal targetted a torch with scorching ray, would the torch stay lit?



From: Mark

Subject Darkness rules

He would have to make a ranged touch attack, which probably would not be to tough.

IF HE KNEW WHERE A TORCH WAS. Remember AOO and casting spells. :)



From: Josh

Subject Darkness rules

OOC: He's got a bunch in his backpack. How much would it take to get one out, and cast at it?



From: Mark

Subject Darkness rules

It is at least a full round action to get something out of your back pack, plus you would have to drop your rapier. Any enemy within 5 feet would get an AOO. Then you would have to cast the spell, again a standard action, which would also provoke an AOO from any enemy with in 5 feet. Then he would have to pass his spell failure, which is likely as his SF chance is so low. He would also have to pass a CON check to deal with all the damage he took from the AOO.



From: Kevin

Subject Darkness rules

OOC: Basically, longer than you have to live if you try it. Kal wanted in the room, now he is going to have to live with it (until our big old lovable 1/2 orc, cracks the door to let a little light in on the subject.



From: Josh

Subject Darkness rules

OOC: Pshh.. If that doofus Mund didn't try to tackle me from behind I'd be happily standing somewhere where I could control the door. He got us into this mess.



From: Kevin

Subject Darkness rules

OOC: both these characters need to be put over someone's knee and given a spanking. Harp wants to make sure he is the one to do it, not some unknown creature. LOL.

Hope this does not total fall apart.



From: Porter

Subject Darkness rules

Harp absolutely doesn't see what he did wrong. :p



From: Kevin

Subject Darkness rules

OOC: Harp did not think the two would go at each other while there are possible enemies on the other side of the door. Harp, given his background, feels that the good races should be able to work together when their is a task at hand. He has learned this the hard way from the Order. Harp would very often have to work with others who did not like him, but while they were working toward a common goal, he (and they) could learn to put their other difference aside. All he was looking for here was for some member of the group to try and find out who (or what) was on the other side of that door. He is not dead set for killing everything, but is not squeamish about doing so if it will move their task forward. He still does not know that much about Mund's upbrining to realize the depth of his feeling toward orcs/goblins/etc. or his negative feelings about some uppity elves.



From: Mark

Subject Map

Ok the turn may have to wait a bit since my boys are using my books right now for thier every other weekly game with their cousin.

However I think I have been able to make a map of the room, at least showing the door and where Kal and Mund are. They are facing north. I need Porter and Josh to tell me what they want to do?

From what I remember Porter is going to try and back towards the door, unless he gets attacked, in which case he will pull his axe and try and fight back.

Let me know how the map works. I did it differently than usuall.




From: Josh

Subjec: A fight in the dark

Kal will turn his back to where Mund was standing when the door closed. He'll take his 5 foot step to his left (toward the door). He'll do whatever fancy sword work he can in that direction in case anyone is standing there. (That's just his 5 foot step).

Once he gets next to the door he'll put his back to it and cast shield on himself, using defensive casting.



From: Porter

Subject A fight in the dark

The most important thing that Mund is doing is trying to convince these people to not attack him.

But other than that, yeah, Mund is trying to put his back to a wall and backup toward the door.



From: Mark

Subject A fight in the dark

As he breaks Mund attempted tackle, Kal sees, or rather does not see, all of the lights go out. He is suddenly in a situation he is not overly familiar with. He is blind. His rapier is invisible before his face. He hears a voice say "Goro, block the door." Kal knows that Mund is right next to him and that the door should be right behind him. He also knows that he needs to get his back to a wall. Kal decides to try and back up, but first thinks maybe he ought to make sure the way is clear. He makes a deft move with his sword, hoping he is striking back the way he came. Kal feels his rapier meet resistance and bury itself in something that grunts at the contact. (AC15, 17+10=27, concealment 42, miss). Now he is not able to move towards the door and his back is exposed.

In the darkness the two can hear foot steps and commands being barked in an unknown language. Something sharp crashes down on Kal's left shoulder,(AC11, 17+4=21, hit, damage 6)(Kal can now pinpoint this attacker unless it moves). A second blow whistles past Kal's face so close he feels the breeze it makes as it passes. (AC11, 5+4=9,miss).

As Mund tries to back up saying "

"I'm not here to fight you guys. This jackass elf came in here to murder you all, and I was trying to stop him."

His comments are greeted with howling laughter and he feels something clank off the back of his breastplate. (AC15, 6+6=12, miss). As Mund turns in response, another blow catches him upside his head. (AC 15, 15+4=19, hit, damage 10) His head rings and his eyes waters for a second and then his rage comes back as he pulls his axe. "Dammit," he yells "don't make the elf right."

Knowing that there is a foe directly in front of him, Mund takes a mighty swing with his axe(Concealment, 76, AC 15, 8+11=19, hit, damage 7) Mund feels his axe crash into whatever is in front of him with a satisfying crunch. Mund then takes a step back and feels something solid at his back.

Out in the hallway Ragnar, Ranthir and Harp show up at the door. Harp shouts "Ragnar, you push low, I'll push high, let's get this door open." And with that they give a great shove at the door.(Ragnar aides Harp)(Opposed STR check, DC?, 1+6=7, fail) The two do not have their feet set quite right and are unable to move the door.

OODM: I need round 2 actions.



From: Kevin

Subject A fight in the dark

Harp grunts at Ragnar " Again!!!!" and pushes at the door with his shoulder.

A fight in the dark continues

From: Jason

Subject A fight in the dark

Ragnar helps him again. With the door apparently deliberately blocked, he will now be prepared to attack the first thing he sees behind the door when it opens.



From: Jason

Subject Famous People

PS I just finished reading Shadow of the Giant (late last night/early this morning, curse OSC for being such a good author) and I noticed a certain C. Porter Basset is mentioned in the acknowledgements. Cool stuff!



From: Mark

Subject A fight in the dark

Josh and Porter I need to know what you are going to do.

I know that Ragnar and Harp are going to try and force the door again.

Any one else?



From: Derek

Subject A fight in the dark

OOC: Did Harp cast Bull's Strength on himself? I assume Ragnar is still un-bulled then?



From: Josh

Subject A fight in the dark

OOC: Mark, I read over Magic Missle and it looks to me like I"ll be able to target that guy standing in front of the door. If I can't, let me know.

Kal starts his bladedance. "Even if I can't see them, let's not be a standing target."

He'll then cast Magic Missle at the guy in front of the door. (3 missles now).



From: Randy

Subject A fight in the dark

Ranthir will add his force to the door if there is room for him. Otherwise he will ready his sword for the attack.



From: Mark

Subject A fight in the dark

The only person you have a chance of targeting is the guy that hit you. He still has concealment which means there is a chance that the spell will miss. Anyone with in 5' of you, ANYONE, will get an AOO against you when you cast.

A fight in the dark, cont.

From: Derek

Subject A fight in the dark

Assuming Ragnar doesn't have Bull's Strength cast on him, Allistair will cast it on him.



From: Josh

Subject A fight in the dark

Only if they have night-vision, right?



From: Mark

Subject A fight in the dark

Any one with darkvision, blind fight, tremorsense, blind sense, or two or three others that do not come to mind at the moment.



From: Josh

Subject A fight in the dark

OOC: I can't pinpoint the guy between me and the door?

A fight in the dark, round 2

From: Jason

Subject A fight in the dark round 2

From what Mark wrote last round, Kal isn't even 100% sure where the door is, nor does he know for a fact there is someone between him and it. He didn't actually walk into the room, he was shoved from behind.



From: Mark

Subject A fight in the dark round 2

You would have to make a touch attack first to find him. Let me find the part of the rules that covers this and I will send it to you.



From: Mark

Subject Blind rules

Here are the rules for pinpointing targets in the dark.

--A blinded creature can grope about to find unseen creatures. A character can make a touch attack with his hands or a weapon into two adjacent squares using a standard action. If an unseen target is in the designated square, there is a 50% miss chance on the touch attack. If successful, the groping character deals no damage but has pinpointed the unseen creature's current location. (If the unseen creature moves, its location is once again unknown.)

--If a blinded creature is struck by an unseen foe, the blinded character pinpoints the location of the creature that struck him (until the unseen creature moves, of course). The only exception is if the unseen creature has a reach greater than 5 feet (in which case the blinded character knows the location of the unseen opponent, but has not pinpointed him) or uses a ranged attack (in which case, the blinded character knows the general direction of the foe, but not his location).

So Josh, Kal can either make an attack on the guy who hit him, since he has pinpointed him, or he can make a touch attack in the two squared where he thinks the guy barring the door is. In the first case Kal's target still has total concealment with is a 50% miss chance even before the attack. For the two squares he will might be "touching" with his rapier to see if someone is there, that person would still get a 50% concealment roll from the "touch" attack to find him and then that same roll again if Kal decides to attack him.

I am going to write up a turn now.



From: Josh

Subject A fight in the dark round 2

Kal will just go after the guy who hit him.



From: Mark

Subject A fight in the dark round 2

Kal almost panics when he is not able to move back towards the door. However, in the darkness his training from Sim-Ell comes back to him. "When the eyes can not see, shut them. Let the mind be your eye in the darkness." Shutting his eyes, Kal tries to envision the room. "I need to leave space for the others who are sure to come barging in at any second." So he takes a quick step back and to the left and is relived to find no one blocking the way. As he feels the wall at his back, he casts the spell of shielding, knowing that he will need all the help he can get in the dark. As he is casting though, his armor restricts his movement at a vital time and the spell fails.(Spell failure chance 10%, roll 4%, spell fail).

Ragnar and Harp call Salix and Ran over to help with the door. "One, two three" they shout in unison and the door opens just a little bit, no more than a foot or so. However, the light is enough for Kal. He can see one of the creatures is almost right next to him on his right, trying to keep the door closed. He can see at least 4 others lined up about 10 feet away. They are humanoid, about 6' tall with a thick gray skin and eyeless sockets. They all have stone axes and they are approaching.

The creature right in front of him steps forward and swings the stone axe at Kal's head. (G4,AC18, 19+4=23, hit,damage 6). Kal dodges to the side but the blade crashes into his left shoulder, the fingers going numb for a second. Another creature steps forward as well and swings at the injured elf.(G5,AC18, 4+4=8, miss) Kal is easily able to dodge the clumsy blow.

In the bit of light coming into the room, Mund sees the eyeless creatures moving to surround him. He feels the door start to hit him in the back but ignores that for a bit. There is one creature right in front of him who has a serious gash across it's chest. It swings at Mund and the barbarian blocks it easily with his shield.(G2,AC20, 7+4=11, miss) Another large creature moves up into position and swings it's axe at Mund as well.(G6,AC20,6+4=10, miss) Again Mund is able to block this blow with his shield. Mund's barbarian sixth sense about danger saves his life this day. Sensing danger to his side, he jumps back just as another axe blade whirls through where he had just been. (G3,AC20, 13+4=17, miss)

Mund's rage picks up steam. He had tried to save these creatures and here they were attacking him. Shifting his grip on his axe, he swings the blade back at the creature he had injured just a few seconds ago. He easily hits (AC15, 11+11=22, hit, damage 13) and neatly separates the creatures head from it's body. Figuring that he should make some room for the others trying to get into the room, he takes a quick step forward, over the body of his fallen foe.

OODM: OK I have attached a map of the end of round two. I need actions. The door is open about a foot, enough to let some light in, enough so that the two can see, but it is not open enough for the people to get into the room.




From: Mark

Subject A fight in the dark round 2

Too late. I took your action from the time you said you wanted to cast the shield spell.

Sorry.



From: Josh

Subject A fight in the dark round 2

Ah, shield's better anyway. I forgot about that.



From: Josh

Subject Questions

OOC: a few questions: 1) The spell is still used, right?

2) Mund and I have flanking on G1 and G5, Mund's flanked, and Kal's not?

3) Does Kal know what these things are?



From: Mark

Subject Questions

1) Yes the spell is still used. It was a great idea and would have save Kal from getting hit if it had gone off.

2) Kal is not flanked. That was the point of moving to the wall. Mund is flanked by G5 and G6 but Kal and Mund are not flanking any one at the moment.

3: ) Kal understands flanking and that it gives people an advantage. What Kal does not know is that Barbarians, at least ones of Munds level, can not be flanked.



From: Mark

Subject Questions

3) If you mean what these things are, you mean the creatures, I will make a roll for Kal and Mund, but probably not. Rangar might have the best chance, even better than Salix.



From: Josh

Subject Questions

OOC: Wow, I've always misunderstood flanking.

re: 3) I meant, does he know what sort of creatures these are?



From: Porter

Subject A fight in the dark round 2

You know, it sure would be easier to be good if every time Mund tried to do something good life didn't crap on him. Maybe he should have stuck with banditry.

But right now, he has a bunch of uglies to deal with. Mund has no idea what these critters are, but he is please to see that their heads can be persuaded to part with their bodies just like anybody else's. Fighting is something that Mund understands, he thinks with a savage grin.

Mund attacks the critter near the door (G1) trying to clear a path for his companions to come in and help.

A fight in the dark round 3

From: Mark

Subject Mund and flanking

I hope you did not mind my moving Mund into a place where he is considered flanked. I knew that at his level he can not be flanked so it would not worry him.



From: Kevin

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

Harp sees the door move a bit, enough to give him hope that they can yet get into the room to help their companions. With a grunt, Harp will say "One more time, on three. ONE, TWO, THREE!!!"

Harp will push with all his might.



From: Jason

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

Ragnar gives a shout of triumph and will thrown himself against the door again. If possible, he will attack someone once it opens the rest of the way.

Is the door open at such an angle that Ragnar can see (and possibly recognize) one of his opponents?



From: Karl

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

Salix is almost boiling over with anger and frustration. He was in the middle of parlay with unknown creatures and that *damned* Elf *again* sows chaos and destruction. And now Mund was caught up in the outburst and would surely pay the price. It was probably lucky for Kal that Mund was caught up. Were Mund not in danger, Salix would very much like to just leave the Elf to pay his price alone. But Mund was in trouble, and Salix couldn't leave him to share the brunt of Kal's stupidity alone. He answers Harp's call to bash the door as best he can in the cramped space.

(OOC - if he can do this with his scimitar drawn he will do that. If not, he will draw his scimitar as soon as the door is open.)

"If the damned Elf is still alive when we get in there, Harp, I think I will end up killing him myself."



From: Derek

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

OOC: Mark, did you not get my email on Allistair casting Bull's Strength on Ragnar? I guess he can still use it to get the door open so try casting it on him again.



From: Randy

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

Ranthir once again pushes with the others.

OOC: Was Harp only pushing with part of his might before? That might explain why we are still not in the room.



From: Mark

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

Well Allistair did have an initiative roll of 2. I will do it this round.



From: Josh

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

OOC: You're all gonna be groveling at Kal's feet when we discover these things weren't "innocent goblins" and were in fact a trap.



From: Porter

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

OOC:

Hardly. Even if Kal *was* right (which is by no means certain), that's still no excuse for acting like an idiot and taking things in his own hands, engangering the group.



From: Jason

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

ooc:

Well a six foot tall creature without eyes is probably not a goblin, so they certainly were not "innocent goblins". Somehow I don't think Ragnar will be doing any groveling however.



From: Porter

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

OOC: Yeah, they are certainly not goblins. I meant that there's now way of knowing if they could have been parleyed with if somebody hadn't decided to not even bother.



From: Kevin

Subjec: A fight in the dark round 3

OOC: They are not inncocent goblins. I know what they are, but we will see if our characters know what they are when we get done.

Even if they are not innocent goblins, Harp is still going to have words with Kal about his decision to enter the room on his own volition. He was under orders to assist Salix in this action, not to decide arbitrarily (sp?) to take action. We now have 2 injured members, Mund has used 1 of his rages and Kal has used a shield spell, and there is only 1 combatant down. There will be words after this is over.

And this discussion will be with both of these characters. It was not like Harp was asking these two to take a journey to the end of the earth, he was asking them to accompany 2 other characters to a door and protect them if something unplanned happened. Well something unplanned happened, but it was those 2.



From: Porter

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

OOC:

Mund has 5 rages per day, not two. :)



From: Kevin

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

OOC: Harp is expecting EVERYTHING to be a trap. That was why he did not suggest opening the door and just walking in. He was trying to get an idea of what was behind the door first. We had learned that there were 6-8 creatures that understood common and spoke another unrecognized language. Salix was learning a bit about where they came from, and we might have been able to determine what they were without entering the room. Now, I am sure Kal will have an excellent memory of these things once we finish killing them, but he will be at least 15 hp short and 1 spell short for the knowledge. Even if Kal was right about us having to kill them, he was wrong to go about it in the manner that he did. That will be communicated to him in no uncertain terms when Harp and the others rescue his bacon from the fire.

This is great fun.



From: Kevin

Subject Pushing

OOC: Yeah, yeah, yeah, everyone's a critic. Given that the two who are in the room have been the biggest pains in Harp's ass, he may not have been using all of his strength the first time. Of course, now it is a matter being able to save the day, and make for a more meaningful RP scenario. Just like in the Order of the Stick. If we rush in too quickly, then there will be no drama.



From: Mark

Subject A fight in the dark round 3

Knowing that his strength lies not in his arms but in his arcane skills, Allistair quickly pulls a few bull's hair from his component pouch and chants the words that can be heard but not remembered. Reaching forward, he touches Ragnar on the back. Allistair feels the power flow from his fingers into the dwarf.

Round 3

Initiative: Kal, Salix, Ragnar, Harp, Surin, Creatures, Ran, Mund, Allistair

The dim light is like the sun to Kal's eyes. Suddenly he can see the entire room; the foes, Mund almost surrounded by enemies but his eyes blazing in the dark, and most importantly, he can see the door, just barely open. Through the small crack of light he can see Harp and Ragnar pushing against the creature trying to keep the door closed. Continuing his bladedance, Kal strikes at the brutes back. His rapier strikes true, and slides between ribs, puncturing a lung. (AC14, 11+10=21, hit, damage 8)

This time Harp and Ragnar are able to time their push exactly right,.(DC?, vs 20+7=27, success. The door flies open, hitting the creature in the head with a sickening thud. In the light of the hallway both Ragnar and Harp can see that part of the creatures head is caved in. It falls to the floor, twitching as it does. Harp and Ragnar both draw their longswords and prepare to charge into the room. (Opening the door was a move action and since you did not physically move, I had to make the drawing of the weapons a standard action.)

As Kal performs his bladedance, one of the creatures swings his stone axe at the elf. He is easily able to avoid the clumsy attack of the eyeless creature in front of him. (AC18, 8+4=12, miss) Mund fares just as well. The human is all over the place, never stopping moving, never letting the creatures have an attack at his back. Three swings are taken at the barbarian, and three swings miss their target. (AC20, 12+4=16,miss, 8+4=12, miss, 10+4=14,miss)

Laughing now that the battle is joined and his blade has been blooded, Mund looks for more heads to separate. He thinks about attacking the creature guarding the door, but sees the door fly open and crush it skull. Instead, Mund reverses his axe and takes a back handed swing at the brute behind him, catching the thing by surprise. (AC15, 18+11=29, hit, damage 9) The creature leaps back at the last moment, saving it from being cut in half, but Mund's blade leaves a wide gash along the waist of the creature.

The rest of the party in the hallway hears Mund's laughter and the crashing of weapons on steel.

OK round 4 actions. New map enclosed.



From: Josh

Subject A fight in the dark round 4

Feeling vindicated by the site of his enemies, Kal redoubles his efforts. He continues to attack his enemy with a flury of attacks, hoping the socketless eyes will have trouble following his fast attacks.

OOC: This is really gonna be a mess after these guys are dead. Kal's gonna feel 100% vindicated because they were indeed some sort of undead looking things. He's not gonna give an inch to you guys, ESPECIALLY because in Kal's view, Mund is the one that caused all the problems.

I mean, I'd rather everyone just got along, I'm just being a good RP'er here. ;-)



From: Jason

Subject A fight in the dark round 4

Ragnar's eyes narrow at the sight of the creatures before him. "Grimlocks!" he shouts. "They dislike loud noises." With that, he steps completely through the doorway and attacks the nearest grimlock, bellowing a dwarven warcry at the top of his lungs.

ooc: Ragnar will attack one of the closer grimlocks (I'm thinking G5, or G4 if Kal kills him.) Then if possible he'll step clear of the doorway, trying to get north of Mund. (That's even if it will provoke an attack of opportunity from one of the Grimlocks, but not if he's surrounded by several.)