Mike Sakasegawa is a writer, photographer, book artist, and the host of the arts and literature podcast Keep the Channel Open. His writing has appeared in Last Exit, Catapult, PetaPixel, and Don’t Take Pictures Magazine. His photographs have been featured on Lenscratch, A Photo Editor, and SD Voyager, and included in several group exhibitions. Originally from California’s Central Coast, he now lives in San Diego with his family.
Mike’s work is about looking closer. The world is an amazing, beautiful, and mysterious place, but it's often necessary to focus and pay attention in order to see it. Slow down. Notice things. All we have is time.
- Email: mike (at) sakeriver (dot) com
- Facebook: Michael Sakasegawa Photography
- Twitter: @sakeriver
- Instagram: @sakeriver
- Podcasts: Keep the Channel Open and LikeWise Fiction
- Newsletter: The Best of Intentions
- Circles and Nothing / This Is Where I Live - Last Exit, issue 2, 22 Jul 2019.
Nonfiction, Personal Essays, Op/Ed
- Rule Breakers: Brandon Thibodeaux - Don't Take Pictures, 28 Jan 2019.
- The Lie Beneath the Story of My Family’s Asian American Dream - Catapult, 9 Nov 2017.
- A Predictable Trend in Photography Criticism - PetaPixel, 7 Jun 2016.
Awards, Competitions, Honors
- Runner-up, Popular Vote. Onward Compé '15.
- In Detail. Wellfleet Preservation Hall. Wellfleet, MA. Nov 27 - Dec 8, 2015.
- Marvelous Things. PhotoPlace Gallery. Middlebury, VT. Jan 13 - Feb 6, 2015.
- Size Matters. Low Gallery. San Diego, CA. Oct 24 - Nov 23, 2015.
- Black and White. PhotoPlace Gallery. Middlebury, VT.
- Still Life. Escondido Municipal Gallery. Escondido, CA.
- Black & White. Escondido Municipal Gallery. Escondido, CA.
- Spring Is Here. Vista Wellness Center. Vista, CA.
- Lights, Shadows, and Reflections. Escondido Municipal Gallery. Escondido, CA.
- California. Vista Wellness Center. Vista, CA.
- Family Exhibition. Detroit Center for Contemporary Photography. Detroit, MI.
- Family. F-Stop Magazine. Jun 1 - Jul 31, 2016
- Family Matters. PhotoPlace Gallery, Online Photo Annex. Middlebury, VT. Jul 28 - Aug 21, 2015
- At Home. Don't Take Pictures. Aug 26 - Nov 24, 2015
- Episode 105: Interview with Mike Sakasegawa. Minorities in Publishing podcast. Dec 9, 2020.
- "Open Account: Mike Sakasegawa, Artist & Advocate." Minerva News. Dec 12, 2018.
- "Art & Life with Michael Sakasegawa." SD Voyager. Nov 26, 2018.
- Episode 21: Keep the Channel Open + WMFA. WMFA podcast. Dec 6, 2017.
- Episode #5 - Mike Sakasegawa. The Creative Bar podcast. Jun 9, 2016
- "Mike Sakasegawa: Sheets: A Love Letter." Lenscratch. Feb 13, 2016.
- "Photographer captures time between time 'In Detail'." Provincetown Banner. Nov 26, 2015
- "Mike Sakasegawa: All Good Things." Lenscratch. Nov 24, 2015.
- "Work From The Medium Festival of Photography 2014—Part One." A Photo Editor. Nov 28, 2014.
- BS, Engineering. Harvey Mudd College. Claremont, CA. 2001
- Carmel High School. Carmel, CA. 1997